After Trump’s ouster, China and the United States have seen some new turns of events.
The U.S. government asked a federal court to suspend the TikTok ban
China Central Television (CCTV) — The Biden administration on Thursday asked a federal court to suspend a ban on the overseas version of TikTok so that the mobile app could be re-examined as a threat to US national security.
In a filing in federal court, the Justice Department said the new administration had begun a review of the mobile app and would not seek to ban it for now, as the Trump administration has done.
Earlier in the day, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter, that the Biden administration had indefinitely put on hold plans to request the sale of TikTok to U.S. investors.Later, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said there was no specific timetable for the Biden administration’s review of TikTok and other issues related to Chinese tech companies.
People familiar with the matter said discussions are continuing between representatives of TikTok’s parent company, Bytedance, and U.S. national-security officials, according to the Journal.They also revealed that the discussions focused on data security and ways to prevent TikTok from collecting information about users in the United States.
“We plan to develop a comprehensive approach to protecting U.S. data against the full range of threats we face,” National Security Council spokeswoman Emily Horn said, according to the report.”This includes the risks posed by Chinese apps and other software operating in the United States.In the coming months, we expect to review individual cases based on a full understanding of the risks we face.”